Pages

These are recipes for simple, easy, homemade dishes. I make no promises about portion size or fat content, etc., but they are dishes that I have prepared and liked. I don't post pictures because I don't have fabulous lighting, nor a great camera. I can promise that I haven't just made things up without trying the recipe and this is all stuff other people have tried and no one spit anything out in disgust. Not yet, anyway! I don't take cool supporting photos of the steps along the way (but wait, are you telling me you are going to cook those nuts in the microwave in that METAL bowl?) but these are real recipes that a regular cook/baker should be able to figure out. I love the work of Deb at Smitten Kitchen - she provides the whole package!!! Good food, witty comments and lovely photos. If you want to see a REAL food blog, check her out.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Banana-Oatmeal Hotcakes

I'm not a huge fan of banana, nor pancakes, but these are tasty!  I prefer to eat them without syrup, so they're kind of sweet on their own.  I use Trader Joe's whole grain mix instead of oats because I like the chewiness.  If you prefer softer hotcakes, use instant oats.  They make about 12 tangerine-sized pancakes.

1/3 c oats
1/2 c water
3 T brown sugar
1T oil
1/2 c flour
3/4 t b powder
1/8 t b soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 c milk
2 T yogurt
1/2 banana, mashed
1 egg, beaten

Directions: Microwave the oats and water for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes.  Add brown sugar and oil, then set aside to cool.  Mix the remaining dry ingredients.  Combine the remaining wet ingredients, add the dry mixture and then the oats.  Stir only until just mixed.  Cook on hot skillet in 2T measures, spreading the mixture.

Instructions: Measure the oats and then water into a microwave-safe bowl.  Be sure to use a large enough bowl as the oats will bubble up A LOT in the microwave. Cook, then take out using a mitt or towel as it will be hot.  Measure in the brown sugar and the oil, but don't bother mixing it; just leave the bowl to cool while you do the other steps.  Get a small mixing bowl and measure each of the remaining dry ingredients into it.  Use a fork to mix them pretty well.  Get a second mixing bowl and using that fork, smash the 1/2 banana against the side of the bowl.  Chunk size is a personal preference, I think.  Once done, move it to the side of the bowl.  break the egg into the other side and beat it gently until well mixed.  Add the yogurt and mix all three things pretty well with the fork.  Dump in the flour mixture and stir just a little bit.  Add the oats and make sure the whole thing is pretty well mixed, but don't over-do it or the flour gluten will start to form strands and the cakes will get tough.  Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until you can feel that the surface is hot with your hand about an inch over the surface.  I use a non-stick skillet, but I still add a little butter to the pan because I don't add any butter or syrup when I eat them and I like the saltier edges with the extra almost-crunchiness from the frying action.  I use the fork to measure out the mixture - if I use a spoon I get carried away and make them too big.  Dollop the mixture and then spread it out pretty thin since they will not spread out on their own.  Put a few more on, but don't crowd the pan since the first turn will be gloppy and you'll need room.  You might get some bubbles that break and don't fill in (the classic pancake turning point) but this isn't likely.  I judge by the look of the batter (you can see it starting to change on the bottom half of the sides) and by sneaking a look at the underside using a spatula (keeping in mind that the edges tend to darken more than the middles and you don't want these undercooked).  I suggest doing a single pancake for the first one so that you can see how it cooks and expect it to be not quite right (think of it as the hafrashat challah?).  I don't know if these keep very well, since I usually snack them away during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment