Pages

These are recipes for simple, easy, homemade dishes. I make no promises about portion size or fat content, etc., but they are dishes that I have prepared and liked. I don't post pictures because I don't have fabulous lighting, nor a great camera. I can promise that I haven't just made things up without trying the recipe and this is all stuff other people have tried and no one spit anything out in disgust. Not yet, anyway! I don't take cool supporting photos of the steps along the way (but wait, are you telling me you are going to cook those nuts in the microwave in that METAL bowl?) but these are real recipes that a regular cook/baker should be able to figure out. I love the work of Deb at Smitten Kitchen - she provides the whole package!!! Good food, witty comments and lovely photos. If you want to see a REAL food blog, check her out.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Veggie Reubens

My most favorite bread is Lithuanian Rye from Racine Bakery in Chicago.  They carry it at the local market and I just love it.  It keeps beautifully in the freezer and makes a lovely sandwich.  The other key ingredient in this "dish" is pickled red cabbage.  I prefer it to using sauerkraut, since it has a milder flavor that pairs well with the vegetables.  Speaking of vegetables, I have used a wide variety of things inside these sandwiches.  The broccoli slaw mix or rainbow mix works really well: almost any vegetable slivered into matchsticks (mandolin!) works.  Baby spinach, onions, mushrooms, carrots...

Relish:
    1 T mayo
    2 t katsup
    2 t capers
    2 t pickle relish
2 t oil
1 c raw slivered vegetables
2 slices rye bread
butter
2 slices swiss cheese
1/4 c pickled red cabbage

Mix the relish and set aside.  Heat the oil and saute the vegetables until crisp-tender.  Transfer to a plate.  Assemble the sandwich: bread, cheese, veggies, cheese, bread.  Melt the butter, add the sandwich and cook til the bread is nice and brown.  Turn over and brown the second side.  Eat with relish!

No comments:

Post a Comment